First Week in Review


Day 1:
Nervous, exhausted, and relieved.
Those are the words I would use to describe myself for my first day. Generally before something big, I get so nervous and anxious that I can hardly sleep, hence the exhausted portion of my description. 
My first class was legal research and writing, what an exciting way to start my day and week. But surprisingly, it wasn't half bad. It probably (read: hopefully) won't give me nightmares like McKee's legal writing class did. It went uneventfully slow, which was nice. Then I had nearly a 3 hour break between that class and next, which was filled with homework for the next days contracts class (which I had been putting off doing up until that point).
My next class will probably be one of my favorite classes throughout the semester, Criminal Law and Procedure. If any of you know me, you know I love a good criminal case. I love figuring out the defenses and how to get around the defenses. Just in general, I really enjoy criminal law. 
Then I went home to study for 3 hours and then watch some TV.

Day 2:
Day two consisted of a later wake up time than the day before. My morning kicked off with reviewing my torts cases. I love torts. It was the first law related class I took at Mt. SAC. My professor there taught it amazingly well and I still know most elements for the 7 intentional torts. However, my new professor scares the crap out of me. Nothing in particular scares me, he just seems super intimidating. However, I've noticed a continued intimidation with a majority of lawyers. They seem all business, and super serious. Which is the exact opposite of my personality. I'm generally a fun loving, sarcastic person who enjoys learn through experiences and conversation.
The next class was contracts. This class will always be the bane of my existence. I loathe contracts. I have never found the subject even remotely interesting. I know it's an important area of law, but I still just don't care for it.
Day 3:
Day 3 went pretty much the same as Day 1. The only main difference is, we talked a lot more in class. I ended up helping a couple people with the difference between Primary authority, secondary authority, mandatory authority, and persuasive authority, as well as helping them understand IRAC a little better. We didn't go into much detail on IRAC in our orientation and it left a lot of students feeling overwhelmed. I have previous experience of IRAC, and so a lot of people sought out my help for it. I was caught up on today's reading so I was actually able to help them understand it a little more.
Day 4:
Today was a new day, I felt good, I looked good, and I was ready to take on the scary teacher! I arrived to class and we began our discussion. I answered about 7 questions correctly (when other students weren't grasping it) however, at the very end of class the professor asked us to analyze the information given to us. After a couple people had unsuccessfully answered the questions, I thought I would take a stab at it. I was promptly told my answer was wrong, so I thought about it more and decided to look within my case and try and figure it out. After a few more people went, I thought I would give it another shot. Apparently that answer was wrong, too. The professor pointed at me and said "If you keep thinking like that you won't make it to 2L." What a kick to the pride.
Luckily it was near the end of the class and I quickly went to my car (under the guise of "I'm going to get lunch") and had my little break down. It was only the 4th day and already someone told me I wouldn't make it. After lunch I had a little extra time, so I began conversing with a couple 2L and 3L. I told them what happened and one looked shocked, but then a 3L piped in and said "He see's something in you. He's challenging you and he knows you can do it." What a way to show it! I rebutted that maybe he was right, and she replied with "No. He didn't do that to anyone else. He see's something in you or he wouldn't have done it." Well, okay then.
So then I made my way into Contracts and worked my ass off to be the best I could and to understand the class to the best of my abilities. Which is quite the challenge, since again, I really don't like contracts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivation in Law School

Lenovo 2-in-1 laptop

Experience in a law firm